Tuesday, August 16, 2016

HR going back HRM

So there I was, hungry for recognition, accepting the new position of Human resource manager.
As luck would have it, Eva had me correct the spelling mistakes from the job opening (internship opening), so I knew some of the jobs that came with it.
The moment I came in Eva stood there waiting, and gave me 5 big empty folders.
"fill all these with these documents, but first correct all the documents, they are in google drive and dropbox." Knowing how she is I didn't argue about having all those files on drive and dropbox would be just as handy I started working. What I saw there... was a warzone. Files everywhere, 5 versions of several documents and pretty much everything was in the wrong order.
Sorting work... Great... Obviously she asked me to make a hardcopy because the printers were working 60% of the time. This took me several days.

But I couldn't forget about inviting and interviewing new interns because everyday Eva would come with the question "what is the status of the new interns?".
Everyday I had to give the same answer.
- These will tell me at the end of the week
- These 3 will come start september
- This one is on vacation until mid August
No new applications.
To which the usual reply would be "ok call them and tell them to come sooner"
I advised against doing this, but still had to do it. Not knowing how to reply to this... ignorance (remember the daily part) I called them again, and again. Until 1 who would start in september blocked my phone number and the one on vacation said to stop harassing her because we sounded "way desperate".
Following multiple calls to interns, searches and plenty of asking, I recieved a company phone. Major step up for me!!! I even heard a promise to get my own company laptop whoooooo....
(the laptop never came)

After a week of repeating actions and fixing the mess in dropbox/drive, an old intern came for his evaluation. Eva asked me to join her. Then following she gave a few negatives of the work (the messy dropbox/drive which she had me report) and what grade I would give him. Obviously she wanted me to be the bad guy. Figured, because she raised the grade I gave him with 1, by now, my opinion of her (both EQ an IQ) dropped by another grade. After which she said "you want to bring the grade up, how about you work today and help fix it?"
...
If I was allowed to swear in blogs, something would be added at this point.
...
He agrees and more work becomes more work until the guy finally said he had enough, and accepted a barely passing grade.
I felt for the guy, could not blame him...
That and following days was filled with more orders than I could handle, all while sitting behind the reception fulltime. Because receptionists were only allowed to work at moments when people were expected to enter the building to pick up keys.
Little did I know, that people come in on a daily base to complain about something wrong with the apartment or payment. "wrong" "too much paid" "wrong" "apartment was dirty"
"overbooked" Although a few complaints were of guests not reading any of the little letters with external booking companies (looking at you booking.com), some were about the lack of personell we had and the speed of which things were fixed. Not hearing about those complaints had to call the headquarters in Gibraltar alot.
Headquarter in Gibraltar? It gets more dodgy when you know the company uses a Polish bank account, wants to switch to an office in Ukraine and well, the multiple companies under a single roof is also strange...

But I followed through and kept on working.
The week after that, something happened.

Eva was actually working back and forth for something other than SingleSuperMom (the company that helps single mothers by doing activities (mainly for fun, but they say they help financially and legally), the phone I recieved was originally used for that.
This had a reason. In the dark alleys of the reception I caught wind of information!
The big boss was coming...

A slick classic stereotype real estate agent man came up to me...
It hit me... This is the guy I'm working for.
He introduced himself and asked if he could borrow some money from my reception register.
I checked my balance only to find out it contained -1000 (which basically says I have put in 1000 from my own wallet.)
GREAT FIRST IMPRESSION...
I called the finance guy to help me out. It was a mistake I made because I have 2 accounts and had to keep the money seperate. So it was fixed pretty fast. No money was lost or missing.

after a few days of having worked in HRM I had a meeting with mr. boss and Eva.
After Eva tried taking credit for the work I did he said he needed more help with Pierres work, so he wanted me to do what I originally had to do.
Seeing as this was order by boss and the job is alot safer. It was an easy choice to make. But he did give me some recognition for the work I gained. Technically it was a demotion, but one I was happy to endure.

There the work with Pierre started (or continued?).
The work became alot better, but things got worse...



No comments:

Post a Comment