Thursday, August 11, 2016

Introduction to Internship

Hello readers,

Although my blog starts a bit late for an internship blog, I believe this allows me to add more content to the post.
Anyhow, My internship is found in Amsterdam! Capital of the kingdom of the Netherlands.
This is my story...

It all started during the search for internships, I thought by using the contact known by the supervisors I could find an exotic place more easily, so I applied in several countries, and only if they had a nice position available.
Turned out they don't wish starting interns for 3-4 months at management level. I kept my chin up and went for less exotic places, suddenly Lars mailed all the students with a internship opportunity in Amsterdam as Holiday Rental manager for Dutchstar. Not as exotic since it is my home country, but Amsterdam can be considered very international.

I took the chance and quickly gained an interview with Ellen (who seemed a bit distracted), and after a week or so, she offered me the position. 250 euro a month, It isn't much, but seeing as I can live with my parents, it is affordable enough (this means that I have to travel three hours travelling on a daily base). But after I got hired, communications went slow, My questions took a week or more to be answered, and the signing of the contract was postponed. But I was promised the place and was looking forward to it!

Time flew and soon I was already back home, preparing for my first day as Holiday Rental Manager for Dutchstar, a company with very limited information available online.
The first day I figured out why...

My first day, I decided to take the early train to show my good intention! But as fate would have it, I was denied a good first impression due to a suicide in front of the train. I managed to be just in time by borrowing a car and driving past the accident to still take the train (parking a car in Amsterdam is a very expensive idea). I'm introduced to Eva (asian energetic lady mid 40s). She showed me 3 places in the building and said I had to work with Laura (Spanish late 20s early 30s, recently became a mother, she dressed her daughter as daenerys from GoT). She tried explaining me the booking system but it was to busy to talk me through it. After three or so check ins Pierre (St. Martain, big black early 40s) walked in, introduced himself, and said "yo, I'm Pierre, nice to meet you, we're gonna be working together, follow me", He was, the Holiday rental manager, we grabbed scooters and went to the first check outs of the day (since the beginnen of the day we have had a timespan of 2 hours).
He explained me some stuff about the company which I didnt really get in the beginning but now I do.
These will come back most often

Dutchstar: the name of everthing together.
Stonecapital: longstay, 6 months or longer.
Livingcapital: same as StoneCapital, but has a bad name
Reservationcare: Shortstay, weekends to 6 months
Singlesupermom: for some reason this is also in here, helping single mothers with finance, independance and womens rights.
Hollandcleaning: the company which we also have that cleans and does maintenance for the rooms/apartments.

We came back from the viewings and I recieved a huge amount of information which i had to copy and remember. I was allowed to help Laura some more, so I asked plenty of questions regarding the system we used. Interbooker. It's pretty straightforward.
In the meantime while i was asking Laura about information, Eva came by plenty of times, and everytime she did, she would pass a small task towards me, some of which took some time... But that didn't stop her from asking me to do the things. The worst part was, there was NO explanation at all,
going from simple things as: take the research folder and place it opened at the HR room (I did not know where to even look for the research folder and was never shown the HR room). To tasks like: Can you make an errand to X apartment and get the keys for the finance department
I am not good in finding my way,
what transportation may/can I use?
where is the apartment?
who do I ask for the key?
who is in the finance department?
where is the finance department?
why?
These are the questions which I had to ask and the most I got was half answers.

At the end I was able to go home at 18:45 (my scedule should say 9:30 to 17:30. But It turns out to be 09:00 to 18:45). But for a first day this should be fine.

So, on my first day I met, Eva, Laura, Pierre. Some interns, some finance guys and some cleaning guys. It was heavy, and I think I forgot half at the time it happened... I thought this was the worst because it was day one. But I could not be more wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment